Saturday, March 21, 2015

Heading Home To Montana, But First ... DENVER!

After enjoying a few more days with Ilidio, before he left for London, I started packing for the trip home. Where did all this stuff come from?
There seems to be much more than when I started this Grand Adventure Sept. 27, 2014.
I got it all packed, some in the sidecar, the rest in the trailer.
Diana prepared a gourmet seafood snack and spaghetti and meatballs dinner for our last night. It was great. We sat on the lanai, listened to the birds, looked at the Orchid tree and enjoyed the peace and quiet.
Saturday morning, March 21, the first day of spring and the first leg of my four thousand mile ride home.
Looks like there could be some rain over toward Alabama so I decided to try and get some miles in and possibly miss the moisture.
Not an Iron Butt ride, but close to it.
Ended the day with 426 miles, plus the extra 40 miles I logged trying to help a stranded biker.
I saw him laying by his bike and looking at something.
I pulled over and said, "looks like you have a problem. Out of gas?"
Young Guy, "No, I have gas, but it starts and runs a short distance and then quits."
I told him I could help if he needed gas, but beyond that I couldn't help.
Ten miles down the road it suddenly dawned on me that I did have an idea that could help and turned around at the next exit and rode the 15 miles back to the last previous exit and found him again.
"Bad Gas," I said, "I had this once when my bike would start and stop like yours."
Both Bill Ryder in Helena and my son-in-law Ilidio had told me to add some fuel stabilizer to the gas tank to prevent this from happening.
Yesterday as I was picking up some last minute camping things I had stopped at Advance Auto supply and picked up a can of Sea Foam additive, which the clerk assured me was the best they had.
I hope it worked for him, I didn't stick around to find out, after all, I was still trying to beat the  coming rain.
This extra forty miles running back and forth to try and help had slowed me down.
Of  course, if I had thought about it the first time I stopped I could have saved those extra miles, and how many times have I been helped by someone along the road.
Well, we'll see what new adventures tomorrow brings.
This first day could only be described as a great ride.
Many, many people passing me along the way waved, smiled and gave the "thumbs up" sign.
They smile at my little sign, and I get to smile back.
We don't seem so much like strangers after that.
This is such a great country.



Watch for me, I'll be in the Right Lane America.

Del "Lonnie" Lonnquist

No comments:

Post a Comment