Sunday, March 22, 2015

Heading Home, Day Two or "Mooned Over Mississippi"

Yesterdays rain was still hanging in there this morning so my 9 AM start was in a light rain.
Light for the first 20 miles.
It then turned into a heavy downpour.
Heavy enough that the "Rest Area 1 mile" sign looked very welcome.
Soaked through despite having all of my rain gear on and with even my "waterproof" boots soaked I walked quickly toward the open area of the  building.
Seeing another wet biker I said, "Well this wasn't what we wanted to start the day."
Introducing myself I asked about the two very wet Harleys in the parking area.
He said his name was Keith Johnson from Capetown, South Africa.
He and his wife, Corrina, had flown to Miami, rented the bikes and set off on a cross country ride to California and would turn the bikes in at the Los Angeles rental office.
Mean while they were drying off and getting ready for their ride to New Orleans.
He then took me back to the vending machine area where Corrina had maps spread out so they could check out their travels.
I asked if they had done an Iron Butt ride, which they had not, so I told them to check out IronButt.com and see what they could do to join the many South African IBA members.
I told them about the Natchez Trace which they could ride after touring New Orleans.
Keith said he was a cabinet maker and they didn't get to ride as often as they would like and were really enjoying their five week vacation in the states.
The rain was letting up a bit and we three headed for our bikes.
It was a great visit with some really nice visitors from the south of Africa.
As I crossed the Alabama state line the sun came out and and I was heading into another great ride.
This was a beautiful area to ride through, a great area, still wet from the rains.

Seeking a good WiFi spot where I could upload my position on the FaceBook page, Where In The World Is Grandpa, and thrill the kids with stories about the great people I was meeting, I pulled into a Wendy's Restaurant.
While updating the web page and enjoying a chicken sandwich I saw a group of four bikers arrive.
One couple from Germany and the other from Switzerland.
Again, this group had rented bikes in Miami and would return them in LA after enjoying a ride across the US.

Unfortunately, I tried to use the audio note function on the Iphone6 and don't have their names.
Darned Iphone, or is it just me?
Nice folks and fun to visit with.
Their two week visit will take them coast to coast.
A good ride.

I have had a lot of fun with the sign on the back of my bike.
The sign reads, "80 year old Iron Butt Challenge Rider - One Thousand Miles In 24 Hours.."
Hundreds of people pass me and give me a "Thumbs UP" as they go by.
Always with a big smile and a wave.
 I have fun waving back and with a toot of the horn and big smile let them know I saw their salute.

Today's experience was a little different, as I rode through Mississippi.
It happened like this:
A pick up truck with Alabama plates pulled up beside me, then slowed down and dropped back to get a picture of the sign. They then completed their pass with big grins and a wave out the window.

Behind them a large black SUV did the same thing, although with a new twist I haven't seen before.
The lady passenger didn't have an Iron Butt, she had a very large Fat Butt.
Which she proved to me as she pulled down her pants and waved it up and down as they sped by.
Although a little shocked by this "full window" display, I did manage a couple of toots on the horn and a friendly wave.
She poked her hand out and returned the wave, while the driver almost left the road, apparently in near hysterics at her actions.
I couldn't hear his laughter, but I could see him slapping the steering wheel and poking his partner.
They both seemed to have really enjoyed the moment.
I guess when people see other people having a little fun, they just naturally want to join in, even when they don't join in a more traditional manner.
Isn't there a song about this type of thing?
"Mooned Over Mississippi" is the one that comes to mind.

What a great ride today, and tomorrow, the long awaited ride on the Natchez Trace.

Watch for me, I'll be in the Right Lane America

Del "Lonnie" Lonnquist


1 comment:

  1. Well, Del...you should always have your Full Moon After Miami anyway...right?

    ReplyDelete