Thursday, September 4, 2014

Ultimate Motorcycle Endurance Challenge.

In three weeks I will be launching my fall trip.
From Helena, Montana to Minneapolis, Minnesota where my brother and sister live.
Then to Maryland to visit Jason and Allison,  Orlando to visit Diana and family, Houston to see Joni and family and to go on a hot air balloon ride with Lois’ brother Stan. Next I will hopefully make it to Denver to see Malachi, Ashley and Jared, over to San Diego and the Motorcycle Safety Foundation and up the coast to San Jose to see Janis and family.

BUT FIRST:
On September 27th at 4am MDT I will be leaving Helena on the fabled Saddle Sore 1000.

The Iron Butt Association  www.IBA.com will give me the prestigious Iron Butt Rider Award if I can ride my motorcycle 1,000 miles in 24 hours or less! As I was planning my trip to Maryland I discovered that it is 1,041 miles from Helena, MT to Monticello, MN where my twin brother lives. Exactly the number of miles I need to win this coveted award.

Think of it! Of all the millions of motorcycle riders in the WORLD, only 50,000 have been certified by the IBA as a certified Iron Butt Rider. Can a soon to be 80 year old man complete the endurance test required to win this award? We will have the answer by 5am CDT on the 28th.

I will leave Helena at 4am MDT on September 27th and must arrive in Monticello by 5am CDT the next morning. According to my figures I should have 15 or 16 hours riding time and another 8 or 9 hours for gas, food and rest stops. 1,000 miles in 24 hours to start my fall national motorcycle tour. I will keep you all up to date on my progress preparing and completing this epic Motorcycle Endurance Challenge.

Barry Reddick, owner of Collison Pro Auto Body in Helena has completed the 1000 mile ride and is a certified Iron Butt Rider. He has agreed to be my Start Point Witness. He will sign a statement noting the time, date and starting point and is prepared to answer the phone call from IBA to certify the start was in compliance with their rules. From there I save every gas receipt with computer generated date and time and will have my brother as the witness at the end of the ride.

I’ll be in the Right Lane America!
See you on the other end of the ride.
Del

No comments:

Post a Comment