Friday, August 29, 2014

Wolf Creek Canyon


75 degrees for a high, wind calm, perfect for a quick Day Ride through Wolf Creek Canyon to Great Falls, Montana for lunch.
Riding the canyon is always a thrill, but especially on a day as perfect as this one.
The scenery is always spectacular, but this mornings sun brought great shadows to add to the color of every cliff, boulder and hillside.
Back in the day a ride through Wolf Creek on a two wheeler meant flying between the Missouri River and the mountain passes at full highway speed (and maybe a little more) and leaning the bike into every curve and bend the canyon has to offer.
I do have to say that doing the canyon with a SideHack at 50 MPH showed me a side of Wolf Creek Canyon I had not seen in the past. Every bend in the road brought boulders, rock slides, deep cuts and gorges that I really hadn't noticed when I was flying into each curve and maybe polishing the pegs as I went.
As Lois and I did a Sunday drive she would often comment on the power it must have taken to cause these deep rifts in the mountains and how the stone seemed to face every direction. I guess I failed to notice those things then, but they stood out for me today.
The new ride is smooth as silk with a throaty rumble from the pipes and a good solid feel to it.
I've ridden the canyon many times, but today I saw it all.

Saw a lot of Gold Wings heading south, and a couple passed me heading north.
If you're riding through Montana just get on I-15 at Helena and head north for Great Falls.
You'll have a great ride.





No comments:

Post a Comment