Tuesday, September 1, 2015

The Saddle Sore 1000 MIles in 24 Hours Certificate

It's always fun to open the mailbox and see a package from the Iron Butt Association.
Since the IBA is an all volunteer organization it's usually a couple of months after you make a ride that you receive "The Certificate" in the mail.
These IBA volunteers are usually swamped this time of the year because of the many rides being done all around the world.
So it was a surprise that in two short months, I received my certificate.

Thank You Iron Butt Association volunteers for your quick work in getting this 80 year old bikers second SaddleSore 1000 Certificate in the mail.
It was a real thrill to open the mailbox and see your letter.
The ride from Minneapolis, Minnesota to Helena, Montana June 30th was fantastic and included 7 hours at night, 5 of those hours in the rain.

In addition to the certificate I received another license plate backer.
The Iron Butt license plate sign brings a quick response from other Iron Butt Riders wherever you travel. So many times in a service station, rest area or restaurant another rider will approach and say, "I'm Iron Butt too."
It is fun to visit with these dedicated Long Distance Bikers.


This ride was a great warm up for my early October 50cc Quest ride from San Diego CA to Jacksonville, FL and the Bun Burner Gold 1500 miles in 24 hours, I will attempt, as part of the 50cc ride. 
The 50cc is a ride from the Pacific Coast to the Atlantic Coast and must be completed in 50 hours.
The total distance is about 2,450 miles.

While concentrating on the 50cc ride I will also attempt what is termed an "extreme" ride, the BBG or Bun Burner Gold 1500 miles in 24 hours.
This ride will be from Las Cruces, New Mexico to Jacksonville, Florida.
If I am unable to complete the 1500 miles in 24 hours I will still be in good company since many others have come close but couldn't make the 24 hour time limit.
That would be okay since "The Ride Is The Thing!"
It's the ride that is fun, the completion certificate is secondary, but also fun to get. 
What great times and great rides.
Thanks Iron Butt Association folks for all you do to make these exciting rides so meaningful.
I'll turn 81 years old in November and am looking forward to a fantastic 2016 full of IBA rides and a long visit with Diana and Ilidio in Florida.

IBA member Ray King already has me scheduled for the Florida West Coast to East Coast ride in November and an RTE (ride to eat) in October.
Thanks Ray, I'm looking forward to the visits.

An IBA member designed a brand new logo for members who are called "Mile Eaters," so it was fun to receive this patch along with the latest certificate.


Thanks to Iron Butt Long Distance Riders from around the world for their good wishes via Face Book and other Rider pages. 
It has been great hearing from you and I'm looking forward to seeing many of you in my travels.

May your ride be long and may all your roads be wide!

Watch for me, I'll be in the Right Lane America
 Del "Lonnie" Lonnquist 
IBA #60280

No comments:

Post a Comment