Sunday, December 7, 2014

The Orion Launch - Close up (well, Almost close up)

I've traveled from Montana to Key West, Florida and back to Lake Mary, just an hours ride from Titusville, the best place to be when NASA does a rocket launch.
I made my plans.
Leave at Noon the day before the launch, camp in my Mini Mate tent camper that night, set the alarm for 4:00 AM and be in position to view the launch at 5.

Only problem was I programmed the GPS to take me to a KOA in Titusville and the camp was actually 4 miles North in Mims, Florida.
No problem, I discovered my mistake and drove there.
The KOA was A OK.
Clean and comfortable camp site.
 I didn't bother heating water for coffee and settled for a bottle of Ensure and a protein bar.
A few minutes later I found out the local McDonalds opened at 5:30 AM on launch days and since it was only 4:45 AM I went with out coffee. Tough way to begin this momentous day.
As I made the left turn on to Garden Street and drove over the bridge to the area I had been told was the best place to view the launch from traffic was picking up.
Passing over the long, high bridge I saw hundreds of cars, trucks and RV's lined up along the highway.
A narrow space between an RV and a power pole proved to be an easy in parking site and minutes later I was parked and visiting with people from several states who were all there for the same reason.
The sidecar on my rig is always a draw and the tent camper being pulled behind attracted even more attention than usual.
The large RV I parked next to had a large outside TV and kept us alerted to the latest hold.
Photographers with long lenses on their cameras and sturdy tri pods for mounts allowed others to look at the launch site miles away across the bay.
It was then I discovered why there was an open space to park by the power pole.
Hundreds of birds used the power lines above my rig for their roosting place.
For the most part they missed my rig but the heavy set guy who was looking over the sidecar took one on the shoulder of his nice shirt.
As you all know by now, the launch was scrubbed after numerous delays, especially disappointing to a couple from New Orleans who were there on their third attempt to see NASA do a launch.
Alas, all three attempts ended in NASA scrubbing the launch and they missed again.
I was determined to see it and made plans to stay another night at the KOA and return the next morning.
Traffic was heavy but I was soon back on Highway 1 headed for New Smyrna with it's beaches and colorful scenery.
Took I-95 back to Mims.
Should have stayed on Highway 1.
Heavy construction, uneven lanes and lots of traffic.
But Hey! A ride is a ride and the rig is running great.
As I told many students in Motorcycle Safety Classes, the important thing is not getting on your bike and getting from Point A to Point B.
THE RIDE IS THE THING!
So sit back, relax and enjoy the ride.
And always remember, the slower you go, the longer the ride.
Well, in principle at any rate.
It was a good ride and I even had time take a long nap after doing the two minute Mini Mate set up.
No kidding, it sets up that fast.
Same routine as the day before.
Set the alarm for 4 AM and go to bed early,
Same breakfast too.
There weren't as many vehicles this morning.
But still some interesting folks from many states who wanted to see a launch as badly as I did.
We all staked out our preferred viewing areas and then commenced the visiting.
The launch window was set to open at 7:05 AM and this time there were no delays.
Someone shouted, "Countdown," and we all ran to our staked out viewing area.

THERE IT WAS!
Sure enough, a streak of light rose above the trees and in less time then it took to count backwards from Ten, the light disappeared into the low hanging clouds.
It was an underwhelming sight.
Seconds passed and we heard a low rumbling sound and realized that although the rocket was gone from sight, the noise of the powerful rockets was just now beginning to be heard.
Many of us turned to the exterior TV on the side of the RV and watched as NASA, with it's many cameras, showed us the launch on TV, as we listened to the continuing rumble of the engines live.
It was rather strange, but grand at the same time.
As hundreds of vehicles headed back to Titusville for breakfast and the highway, I turned East toward the coast.
A mile down the road and I saw the first sign for the Merritt Island Wildlfe Refuge.

This is a beautiful refuge for animals and birds and with many signs reminding motorists to give them a brake..
Lush vegetation on all sides.
I tried the road leading in to the John F. Kennedy Space Center, but made a U turn when I came to the gate with the armed guards.
After spending a few hours trying some of the side roads in the Refuge I turned West and made the hour long drive back to Lake Mary.
The Orion Adventure was over, but I was already planning the next ride.
Next week I will head back to Merritt Island for exploring of the wildlife refuge and then head south on Highway A1A which follows the coast all the way to Miami.
I'll jump off and head inland at Fort Pierce.
Lois talked many times about visiting Sebring, Florida where Grandson Brian was Pastor of a church.
The Alzheimer decline had already begun so the trip was never made but I'll do it now and even though Brian and Dawn have moved on, I'll stop in and get a picture.
Then on to Sarasota on the states West coast for a circus museum visit and maybe a side trip to the famous Bak Tower North of  Sebring.
Could be a great four or five day ride.
Watch for me, I'll be in the Right Lane America
Del "Lonnie" Lonnquist

No comments:

Post a Comment