Thursday, October 23, 2014

Planning The Next Leg Of The Cross Country Tour

The ride from Montana to Maryland and then to Florida was great.
I appreciate all the help I got on the Saddlesore 1000-1 from Barry Reddick the Certified Iron Butt witness and coach.
Sidecar Bill Ryder made sure the rig was ready and my twin brother Dean made a great End of Ride witness.
It was great being in Minneapolis for his 80th birthday party.
The visit with Jason and Allison in Baltimore and the visit to Fort Mc Henry was great.
Next is a possible cruise on the Disney Fantasy and then back on the Yamaha for the cross country ride to Houston.
Although Google maps has it at 964 miles, I expect it will be many more by the time I visit old stomping grounds in Panama City and Pensacola, Florida.

I'll be looking for some state camping sites to make use of the Mini Mate camper.
I remember that drive along the Gulf with it's white sands and resorts, and the night Lois and I and all six kids pulled a tent camper acrtoss that area and were awed by the sight of the big ship with all the lights in Mobile, Alabama.
Great moments to remember. I'm looking forward to that part of the trip.
Then Houston where I will see Joni, Gary and Jerusha.
Lois' brother Stan lives there too, we may get to take that hot air balloon ride yet.
I can't decide which way I'll go after that, but it will likely be toward Arizona, New Mexico and then up to San Jose, CA via Highway 101. That is supposed to be a great ride.
Got the oil changed today.
The Yamaha Superstore in Sanford, Florida is the largest I have seen.
An added bonus today was the Can Am factory team was there to offer free rides on the new Spyder.
They had quite a line up of bikers waiting for a ride so I loaded Ilidio into the sidecar and headed off to a Thai restaurant for lunch without taking them up on their offer.
The Can Am with two wheels in front makes an unusual trike, but I won't be making any changes in my rig any time soon.
The Yamaha V Star 1100 Classic is a great Long Distance road bike and the Velorex sidecar and Mini Mate camper makes it a real Iron Butt LD rig.
Enjoying my visit with Diana and Ilidio, and getting a good rest.
Looking forward to a great ride across the south, but sure hate to leave their pool.
Watch for me in your area.
I'll be in the Right Lane America.
Del "Lonnie" Lonnquist

1 comment:

  1. Del, it's great to hear that your trip is going well. It was a real pleasure and privilege to meet you when you stopped by for your camper. I hope you have continued safe travels and enjoy many happy journeys! Dale @ Open Road Outfitters

    ReplyDelete