Thursday, September 3, 2015

The Wolf Creek Canyon Ride and Traffic Jam

It began as a quick trip to Great Falls, Montana to check mileage on the rig while carrying a full load.

Linda volunteered to travel as the sidecar passenger, and needed some supplies for the ride.

It does get a little windy and cool when riding shotgun through some of Montana's canyon country.
What I wanted to find out was, what kind of mileage would the VTX 1300 get with sidecar, tent trailer and passenger in the sidecar.

It went well too, until we began our drive through Wolf Creek Canyon.



Construction crews are working on the stone cliffs along I-15 to minimize falling rock.
The crews were working high above us to knock loose stones off the walls, some worked on the ground others were lowered down the side of the cliffs to knock off loose slabs of stone.
Signs warned of possible 30 minute waiting time as the crews loaded rock on to trucks and changed positions with the huge screens used to keep the falling rock from crashing on to the highway.

No! No! Wait until I get the helmet on,my hair is a mess!

 It is a most unusual construction project and provided interesting pictures and video.
Photo ops were plentiful and I thought I would get a good picture of my passenger.
      





Oh, there, that's better.


    




















The wait turned out to be about twenty minutes and I had a chance to visit with folks waiting in the truck behind us.

The day was beautiful and the scenery fantastic.

Smoke from the Holter Lakes fires swirled around above the cliff facings and was visible for a great distance.

Wolf Creek Canyon, on I-15 between Helena and Great Falls, Montana is usually a fairly quiet ride with fewer vehicles than you find on most interstate Highways.

Today was different as the construction crews held up traffic giving us what could very likely be the first traffic jam in canyon history.

I took some great video of the traffic jam, but haven't figured out how to make it play on this blog.
I'll try again tomorrow.
Just imagine, lots and lots of cars, trucks and RV's waiting in line in a long, long row and then all trying to get to Great Falls as fast as they can and you'll have it. (LoL)

The rest of the trip was quick and after a quick lunch at Denny's we headed for home and again were stopped for about twenty minutes.
Interesting watching the crews at work.
As I said earlier, a most unusual construction project.
 I found out what I needed to know about miles per gallon and I feel better prepared for the trip south on September 30th.
Well, you all will have to admit, it was a good excuse for a ride through the canyon on a beautiful day.
Any excuse that will get you in the saddle for a few hours has to be good.

Watch for me, I'll be in the Right Lane America

Del "Lonnie" Lonnquist
(& Linda)
 

No comments:

Post a Comment