Wednesday, October 8, 2014

WOW! That Was Some Kind Of Storm

It was a great feeling, climbing on the Yamaha and looking back to see my new Mini Mate Tent Trailer following up the street.
It hadn't taken Dale Coyner long to hook up the trailer hitch and lighting harness.
As I was getting ready to leave Dale handed me a signed copy of his book Motorcycle Journeys Through North America .
Thanks Dale, it will be well used.
Using the GPS coordinates Dale gave me Verizon Navigator took me to Front Royal, Virginia and on to the Skyline Drive.
Skyline Drive winds through The Shenandoah National Park and ends at the beginning of the Blue Ridge Parkway.

I stopped at Mathews Arm Camping Site and used my National Park Golden Passport to save 50% on the $15.00 camping fee. The Golden Passport had been a purchase Lois and I made many years ago for future National Park and Historic site use. It has paid for itself over and over again through the years.
It was just beginning to rain as I tried following the directions for setting up the Mini Mate Tent. It was easy and took only slightly longer that the two minutes I had previewed on-line.
It was only 5:30pm, but already getting dark as the storm clouds moved in.
By 6:3opm, the wind was howling and it continue unabated until near dawn.
The rain fell very hard and the wind seemed to roll over the camp in waves. Slacking off for a few minutes and then coming back with renewed fury. The storm which had rolled through Maine dropping trees and power lines, now, in the mountains, lashed out at a novice camper, while he wondered if his newly purchased Mini Mate was up the  challenge.
It Was!
Although the tent sides billowed inward slightly, the trailer itself didn't budge.
The legs held it firmly in place.
Opening the tent flaps at dawn showed the rain and wind were gone.
Now only a cold breeze brought a chill to the morning and breaking down the camp site was a short job, completed with sweater, coat, hat and gloves on.
The day warmed quickly and by early afternoon I had reached the end of Skyline Drive.
I looked at the map of the Blue Ridge Parkway and wondered if I was up for two hundred more miles of the twisting and turning roadway.
My arms and shoulders were definitely showing the effects of driving a sidecar rig through the rugged country. It was not the same as riding a two wheeler through the twisties.
As I was debating whether to head for I-95 and Florida, a text from Diana set my course.
She told of an air show at Daytona Beach this weekend and how we could camp on the beach.
Sure sounded better than another cold night in the mountains.
I turned on to I-64 and headed for I-95 and Florida.
The Mini Mate, the all night wind and rain storm, and the Skyline Drive made for a great adventure.
This trailer followed smoothly with little or no effect on the Yamaha.
From 35 MPH to 75 MPH it was flawless.
Great ride today and should be a great ride tomorrow.
If you're riding I-95 tomorrow, look for me.
I'll be in the Right Lane America.
See you there
Del "Lonnie" Lonnquist
10-8-2014

No comments:

Post a Comment